News Ticker

BluTuesday – July 11, 2017

What’s going on, ProFans? I’m taking a break from packing for my trip home to bring you the latest releases to home media for July 11, 2017. In this week’s episode, we discuss the smurfiest smurf who ever smurfed, family time, British exploratory missions, British sci-fi, and collegiate magical minds. Let’s get to it.

Smurfs: The Lost Village (PG)
Rotten Tomatoes rating: 37%
Metascore: 40

The Smurfs are back, and they’re fully animated this time. The discovery of a mysterious map sets Smurfette (Demi Lovato), Brainy (Jack McBrayer), Clumsy (Danny Pudi), and Hefty (Joe Manganiello) on a quest through the Forbidden Forest to find a treasure before Gargamel (Rainn Wilson) does. This adventure could lead to the most magical discovery in Smurfs history. This film, which also stars Mandy Patinkin, Gabriel Iglesias, and Tituss Burgess, is available in a two disc 4K UltraHD/Blu-ray + Digital Copy version, a single disc Blu-ray + Digital Copy version, and a single disc DVD version. I think…I think this is what the Smurfs movies should have been instead of the mishmash of live action and animation. It’s a good family film to check out. Give it a try.

The Fate of the Furious (PG-13)
Rotten Tomatoes rating: 66%
Metascore: 56

Now that Dom (Vin Diesel) and Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) are married, Brian (Paul Walker) and Mia (Jordanna Brewster) are retired, and the rest of the gang given a clean slate, the crew can finally find some semblance of a normal life. But, when a mysterious woman who calls herself Cypher (Charlize Theron) gives Dom an offer he can’t refuse, he returns to a life of crime and forces the team to go up against him. This film, which also stars Dwayne Johnson, Nathalie Emmanuel, and Jason Statham, is available in a two disc 4K UltraHD/Blu-ray + Digital Copy version, a two disc Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy version, and a single disc DVD + Digital Copy version. The Fast & Furious movies have been escalating in balls-to-the-wall action every movie, and this one is no exception to the rule. Check it out; you won’t be disappointed.

The Lost City of Z (PG-13)
Rotten Tomatoes rating: 87%
Metascore: 78

Charlie Hunnam stars as Colonel Percival Fawcett, a British explorer who journeys to the Amazon in order to find the mysterious City of Z. Alongside his devoted wife Nina (Sienna Miller), his son Jack (Tom Holland), and his aide-de-camp Henry Costin (Robert Pattinson), they go to prove the critics wrong and bring back proof of the City of Z. This film, which also stars Angus MacFayden, Ian McDiarmind, and Clive Francis, is available in a two disc Blu-ray/DVD + Digital Copy version and a single disc DVD version. This is an interesting period piece that is worth checking out if you have the time.

Class: Season 1

The BBC brings us another series in the fabled Whoniverse. At Coal Hill Academy, the kids are getting geared up for their Autumn Prom; however, when a mysterious force attacks the school, it’s up to four kids – Charlie (Greg Austin), Ram (Fady Elsayed), Tanya (Vivian Oparah), and April (Sophie Hopkins)- and their enigmatic Physics teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly) to save the world. This series, which also stars Jordan Renzo, Paul Mark Davis, and Pooky Quesnel, is available in a two disc Blu-ray version and a two disc DVD version. This was 88% of a fun show, with the other 12% being a head scratcher. I still recommend it if you’re a fan of the Whoniverse, although there are some questionable choices strewn in there.

The Magicians: Season Two

In the second season of this Syfy series, the students at the Brakebills University for Magical Pedagogy are still on their quest to protect the world and absorb all the magical knowledge they can in the process. They have to travel to the magical land of Fillory and draw upon their learning in order to save not only Fillory, but also the world as a whole. This series, which stars Jason Ralph, Arjun Gupta, and Summer Bishil, is available in a three disc Blu-ray version and a four disc DVD version. This show is a lot of fun, and I highly recommend it.

That’s all I’ve got for this week. Got any questions or comments? Did I miss something you wanted to discuss? Feel free to hit me up in the comments section below.

Until next time…

Related Posts

About Joseph Seltzer (341 Articles)
Joseph K. Seltzer is a movie reviewer for ProjectFandom.com. When not writing or talking obsessively about the art of movies and TV to anyone who will pretend to listen – especially when it comes to his love for the musical score – he works as a Help Desk technician for a local school board. Generally, you can find him either burrowed in front of the TV watching movies or playing video games, or spending time with his precocious daughter.
Contact: Facebook

Leave a comment