Previously on The Blacklist, ‘The Vehm’
Date night is ruined when Hans Eriksson and Rafael Vacarro, the sons of rival gang leaders, have a shootout in a quaint restaurant. To stem the coming bloodshed, Alistair Pitt makes the mob bosses an offer that can’t refuse.
While Tom is out looking for a score with his ex, Gina, Liz visits the adoption agency to get details about an open adoption.
With revenge on his mind, Red takes a trip down memory lane, to when his lady love married a violent man to help her father’s business.
The Blacklister: Alistair Pitt aka The Promnestria. He’s somewhat of a matchmaker, who meets with mob dads Mads Erksson and Danny Vacarro, to convince them that friendship is more beneficial than war. All he requires is a percentage of their ventures. A wedding between Eriksson’s youngest son and Vacarro’s youngest daughter is planned.
Subplot: Red thinks back on his former lover, Josephine, who entered a marriage arranged by The Promnestria. The marriage to the violent son of her father’s rival left her permanently disabled.
Red’s best line “I’m a sucker for mob weddings.”
Red’s second best line “These are yummy. It’s the nutmeg, isn’t it?”
Liz’s dumbest line “You really think it’s possible that he had Christopher’s fiancée killed so Christopher would be available to marry a Vacarro?” Seriously.
Number of times Liz was annoying: All of the times. Well, except when she found Red in her apartment. She’s right; he needs to start calling before he just drops by.
Number of times Ressler was a dick: Just once, when he made a crack about Liz not having common sense for having Tom’s baby. Who the hell does he think he is?
Get a grip: Red grips up Alistair Pitt as the Eriksson/Vacarro family dinner breaks out in gunfire.
Holy shit moments: Red killed three people, with not one drop of remorse. Two of them kinda had it coming…okay maybe all three of them did.
- DEA Agent Dickface, who keeps calling Liz “Agent Rostova”, follows her to the kitchen after the family dinner shootout. Seeing Red, he correctly calls that he’s the team’s informant. His big mouth gets him shot in the neck by Red. But was it because of the Agent Rostova comments or because he learned the truth?
- Red recalls the time he got a phone call from, Josephine, because her husband found out about them. Red arrives at their apartment, finding her badly beaten. When her crazy, raging husband comes in, Red pops his ass.
- Red takes Pitt to a special place he bought four years before. He tells him about Josephine and the role he thinks Pitt played in her injuries. Pitt’s pleas mean nothing to Red, so he shoots him.
What did work
- Eriksson and Vacarro get together to discuss the impending marriage and the potential stumbling block: his son’s fiancée. Eriksson agrees to Pitt’s plan to get her out of the way.
- Vacarro and his wife discuss the merger; the wife doesn’t want it. The daughter steps up.
- The adoption agent tells Liz the couple interested in her baby backed out; they want the baby, but to not deal with her. If Liz wants the baby to know her, why doesn’t she just keep it?
- To get his son to agree to marry the youngest Vicarro, Eriksson and Pitt tell him that Vacarro had his girlfriend killed. That union was blessed from the start.
- Vacarro and his wife agree their daughter won’t be marrying an Eriksson. The plan is to kill all the Eriksson’s at the family dinner/wedding announcement. The plan goes a little haywire when Red gives a toast that reveals all the lies. But all the Vaccaros and Erikssons end up dead or wounded anyway, so there’s that.
What didn’t work
- While Tom is off looking for “work”, Liz gets more details about adoption. The adoption agent has to remind her that Tom has a say in this.
- Instead of finding another teaching gig, Tom contacts Gina and jumps back into a life of crime. Okay, he’s back to being Jacob now; Jacob with the bad ideas. The job they take on: stealing diamonds. After faking a theft in the store, they put their plan in action.
- While Ressler plays cat and mouse with Pitt, baby Eriksson and his girlfriend are walking behind him. Even though he’s getting information from Aram about what Pitt is doing in the area, Ressler still doesn’t know what’s going on until the girlfriend is shot in a driveby.
- Red tells the team that The Promnestria is arranging a marriage—that’s why the fiancée was killed—and Navabi has to explain arranged marriages and their purpose to them. They’re FBI, shouldn’t they know some of this?
- Red killed a fed. No matter how annoying that guy was, Red killed him and there has to be ramifications.
The Blacklist S3E13
I’m still trying to figure out what any of this had to do with anything. Once again, we have a Blacklister who is not really a Blacklister. It seems like Red didn’t really care about the collateral damage that was baby Eriksson’s fiancée, so this was all about Josephine. Just like everything is all about Liz. Can we get back to getting rid of truly bad guys? Red needs to be killing people for some reason other than the women in his life got hurt. And what’s going on with the war he mentioned?
Gina mentions that The Major is running the op she’s doing–and he’s been looking for Tom since he left him with neo-Nazis. Methinks this will come back to bite Tom in the ass.