Previously on The Muppets, ‘A Tail of Two Piggies’
How do I make a regular best friend by 3 o’clock?
The Muppets should just rebrand itself as The Miss Piggy Show because this week’s episode was exactly that.
That’s not a bad thing, of course.
I’ve said it before and it earnestly bears repeating: Miss Piggy has been the most fleshed-out character of the show since the pilot episode. Once again she’s the focus of this week’s A-Plot as she embarks on a quest to find a friend because (and this may come as a bit of a shocker) her list of friends ranges from “surprisingly short” to “non-existent.”
True to the spirit of her character, Piggy looks for friendship in all the wrong places with Uncle Deadly trailing close by. As the show draws to the close (and in a truly sober and emotionally raw moment) Piggy asks Deadly is she’s difficult to get along with and his answer personified everything The Muppets represent when they tow the line between humor and emotional gravitas. Bravo.
“Why you have to say many crazy things?”
The episode’s B-plot was not without a few hilarious moments. Pache seems to have settled in nicely as the series’ antagonist. While it was fun to see Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe embarking on more shenanigans their segment of the episode should’ve landed more laughs to balance out the more emotionally-tinged aspect of Piggy’s portion of the show.
What “Got Silk?” lacked in humor this week it definitely made up for with its emotional beats. I sincerely hope that the new creative team rallies its efforts to produce solid content worthy of Jim Henson’s legacy. At least enough to merit being renewed for a second season.
Moment of the Week
“Am I that hard to like?”
“Well, Piggy, you aren’t easy. But any friend you have wouldn’t want you to be. They’d want you to be you.”
Damn. The Muppets really know how to hit the feels.
- “A large part of my days are spent not trying to answer questions in ways that would make Piggy look too deeply into the abyss of her own loneliness. I usually bring up snacks.”- Uncle Deadly
- “I can’t feel my face when it’s cold in St. Louis and I’m taken a long walk becayse Phil’s needs always come before mine.”
- Bobo should have his own segment where he reinterprets The Weeknd lyrics.
- “If you don’t remember, then Appendix Girl is not your friend.”
- Never trust a man who can afford a caramel sommelier.
- “Excuse me, Anna Wintour, these don’t stop being underpants in January! Snap.” You betta slay, RuPaul. You betta slay.
- “Look at me, I’m Al Capone. Ay! Oh! Chicago. I don’t know much about the guy.”
- Like, as if! Uncle Deadly portraying Cher from “Clueless” has got to be one the best moments of this season.
The Muppets S1E13